« Home | On False Teachers and The Truth... » | Christian Fellowship- Oh, How sweet » | On The Love and Mercy of God... » | Who shall seperate us from the love of God? » | Look up brother! Look up sister! » | Logic on Fire.... » | Our sinfulness... » | The Effectual call of God!! » | Christ's resurrection - He is Alive!! » 

Monday, October 31, 2005 

Pondering Eternity....

Death it not pondered these days. Sadly, many don't think about eternity until they are brought face to face with it. They do not prepare for eternity. As my brother and I have recently been in an automobile accident, we have thought about death and rejoiced with others that we have been kept alive.

"Yes, and I will rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again."
Philippians 1:18b-26 ESV

I thought I would offer a few quotes for us to ponder about death and eternity. As a follower of Christ I can rejoice that I will stand before God not guilty because of Christs death on the cross for my sin, and so I can look with hope and not fear, waiting with expectation and anticipation for eternity to greet me. Can you say the same thing? Do you know where you will go when you die? You have broken Gods law. Have you ever stolen anything, no matter how small?....you are a thief! Have you every told a lie? You are a liar! God will find you guilty and you will go to Hell unless you turn from your sin and look to Christ alone for your salvation!! Let us ponder....


How brief the distance between life and death!Life is but death's vestibule, and our pilgrimage on earth is but a journey to the grave.The pulse that preserves our being, beats our deathmarch, and the blood which circulates our life, isfloating it onward to the deeps of death.Today we see our friends in health, tomorrow we hear of their decease.We clasped the hand of the strong man but yesterday, and today we close his eyes.We rode in the chariot of comfort but an hour ago,and in a few more hours the last black chariot mustconvey us to the home of all living.Oh, how closely allied is death to life!The lamb that plays in the field, must soon feel the knife.The ox that lows in the pasture, is fattening for the slaughter.Trees do but grow, that they may be felled.Yes, and greater things than these feel death.Empires rise and flourish, they flourish but to decay, they rise to fall.How often do we take up the volume of history, and read of the rise and fall of empires.We hear of the coronation and the death of kings.Death is the black servant who rides behind the chariot of life.See life! and death is close behind it.Death reaches far throughout this world, and has stamped all terrestrial things with the broad arrow of the grave."

"There is an essential difference between the decease of the godly and the death of the ungodly.Death comes to the ungodly man as a penal infliction,but to the righteous as a summons to his Father's palace.To the sinner it is an execution,to the saint an undressing from his sins and infirmities.Death to the wicked is the King of terrors.Death to the saint is the end of terrors,the commencement of glory."

"On an old grave stone was inscribed--"Pause, stranger, when you pass me by,As you are now, so once was I.As I am now, so will you be;So prepare for death and follow me."A tourist wrote this at the bottom of the inscription--"To follow you I am not contentUntil I know which way you went."

"I beg of you, for Christ's sake, think of yourself even now beforeyour Judge. Conceive him there in yonder heavens upon histhrone. Imagine that now you are looking upon him.Oh! my hearer, what will you do?You are before the judgment-throne, without Christ- you arethere naked.'Rocks! hide me! hide me! hide me! I am naked!'But you are dragged out, sinner!What will you do now?You are dragged naked before your Judge.I see you bend your knee; I hear you cry, 'O Jesus, clothe menow!' 'No!,' says Jesus, 'the robe now is hung up forever, notto be worn by you.''Savior! spread your wings over me!''No!,' says he, 'I called, and you refused;I stretched out my hand, and no man regarded.I also will laugh at your calamity, and mock when your fearcomes.'Do I talk realities, or mere fictions?Why, realities; and yet if I were reading a novel to you, youwould be lost in tears.But when I tell you God's truth, that soon his chariot shalldescend to earth, and he shall judge us all, you sit unmoved andcareless of that event.But oh! be it known to every careless sinner,death and judgment are not the things they fancy;everlasting wrath and eternal severance from God are not suchlight things to endure as they have conceived."It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.""Who among us shall dwell with devouring fire?Who among us shall abide with everlasting torments?"

The above quotes are from Charles Spurgeon from various sermons.

"Eternity to the godly is a day that has no sunset; eternity to the wicked is a night that has no sunrise.""If a wicked man seems to have peace at death, it is not from the knowledge of his happiness, but from the ignorance of his danger."
Thomas Watson

Let me ask you a question.....Are you prepared for death? Look to Christ!!!!!

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Romans 6:23 ESV

About me

  • I'm TwinsK&D
  • From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • Oh, this is about us...um...well theres two of us and we're twins. We both attend Grace Fellowship Church in Toronto, Canada. We love Jesus Christ and long to be more like Him and to desire Him above all things!
My profile